Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Roasted Potatoes with Parmesan and Oregano


I always used to think side dishes were so hard. That is, until roasted potatoes came into my life. Season them with salt and pepper, bathe them in olive oil, stick them in the oven, and you're only 30 minutes to what is, in my mind, the best side dish on the planet. Oh roasted potatoes, how I love thee. The ways are too numerous to count.

When I was looking for a side for meatball sliders recently (you'll get that crave-worthy recipe on Friday), roasted potatoes were the first thing I thought of. But I wanted to do something a little different than just make my basic roasted potato recipe, which is where this parmesan-oregano version came in. And whoa. Just whoa. These potatoes were incredible. You know how if you arrange shredded parmesan cheese in a circle on a baking sheet and bake it, it gets all golden and crispy and nutty? Well, imagine that golden-crispy-nutty flavor running all through crisp-on-the-outside, pillowy-soft-on-the-inside roasted potatoes. (Sorry for all the hyphens; apparently I over-hyphenate when I'm really excited about food.) Add in a little bit of oregano for an herby flavor, and of course a little bit of garlic, and they're absolutely perfect. I could have (and really, really wanted to) eat that entire bowl. My family's lucky I love them enough to share.

Roasted Potatoes with Parmesan and Oregano

3 pounds baby red potatoes, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese 
1/4 cup olive oil

1. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.

2. Arrange the potatoes in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and use your hands to spread the seasonings and oil evenly over the potatoes.

3. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, flipping occasionally, until browned and crispy.

1 comment:

Faith said...

I'm making this tonight! Thanks for the recipe!