Monday, January 7, 2013

Bruschetta Chicken


This is probably more of a summertime dish, so naturally, I can't think of a better time to share it with you than the middle of winter. It's January, it's freezing cold (at least where I am), and I am definitely looking for some sunshine and bright flavor in my life these days. Boy, does this chicken ever fit the bill!

I simply cannot overstate how much we enjoyed this dish and how delicious it is. The chicken is baked, so it's somewhat healthy, and the crouton crust is crispy and flavorful. The bruschetta mixture provides a welcome brightness and texture. The night after I served this, Joe wasn't home for dinner, so I used the leftovers and some provolone cheese to make a panini for myself.


I love it when I can reinvent leftovers into something new and equally delicious. The leftovers would also be delicious chopped up, mixed with pasta, drizzled with balsamic vinegar, and served either warm or cold.

This is of course assuming that you have leftovers. With a meal as delicious as this one, that isn't likely.

Bruschetta Chicken
slightly adapted from Flickr user lindsey meredith

1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/3 pounds chicken breast tenders
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 cup garlic croutons, roughly crushed
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
3 tablespoons fresh basil, chiffoned
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.

2. Place flour and beaten eggs in separate shallow bowls. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dip chicken into flour, then into eggs. Place into baking dish.

3. Combine parmesan cheese, crushed croutons, and melted butter and sprinkle over the chicken. Loosely cover with foil and bake for minutes, or until top is browned and chicken is cooked through.

4. Stir together tomatoes, basil, garlic, and salt and pepper. Spoon mixture over chicken, and return to oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until tomato mixture is heated through.

1 comment:

Stephanie @ Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

Sound delicious! I love the crouton crust!