Monday, November 26, 2012

Two-Bean and Rice Burritos


I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Ours was really lovely this year -- lots of quality family time, gorgeous weather, and absolutely delicious food. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday for so many reasons, and as I get older I just get more and more thankful for all of the blessings in my life.

I have allowed myself four days of gluttony (Thanksgiving, followed by football food, followed by a massive comfort food Sunday dinner), so it's time to get back on track with eating more balanced meals. I've planned a lighter menu for us this week, as well as some outdoor activities to burn some energy (as long as it's not too cold).

I thought it would be the perfect day to share these burritos with you, because they're lighter than your average burrito. They're ready in the time it takes the rice to cook, so they're perfect for a weeknight, and they're absolutely delicious. The ingredients are humble, but in this recipe they truly do come together to make one outstanding, healthy dinner. 

Two-Bean and Rice Burritos
adapted from Annie's Eats (rice recipe is mine)

For the rice:

2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup long-grain rice
2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste

For the bean filling:

2 teaspoons canola or vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon minced chipotle in adobo sauce
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup chicken stock
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
6 tablespoons salsa

For serving:

6 9- or 10-inch flour tortillas, warmed
Shredded cheese
Diced tomatoes
Shredded lettuce
Sour cream

1. To make the rice, heat 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add onion and cook until softened. Add garlic; cook and stir 30 seconds. Add rice and stir until coated, fragrant, and lightly toasted. Add chicken stock and cilantro. Bring to a boil and reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked. Let stand 5 minutes off heat, then fluff with a fork. Add lime juice, remaining tablespoon of butter, and salt and pepper.

2. To make the bean filling, heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, chili powder, chipotle, cumin, salt and cayenne; stir, cooking just until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Add the beans and the stock to the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the mixture to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat, stir in the salsa and mash the mixture with a spoon or fork.

3. Spoon about a third of a cup of the bean mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top each serving with a spoonful of the rice, a pinch of shredded cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, and sour cream. Roll the tortillas up tightly, burrito style, and serve immediately.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Made these tonight and they awesome. I'd made the bean part before and did my own version of cilantro rice (in the rice cooker), but I don't know that I can go back to my old way after having it this way. It took a little longer than I like my weeknight dinners to take, but it was delicious! And the beans (and avocado that I served them with) got my little man to eat well again, so double win!