Monday, April 16, 2012

Weekly Meal Planning, Week of 4.16.12


I had a lot of trouble coming up with the meal plan for this week, but now that I look back over the meals I’ve scheduled, I’m pretty happy with my selections. I’ve been a slacker at planning our meals lately, waiting until the last possible moment before going grocery shopping to get it done, but I’ve made some yummy things lately – so maybe this is a good strategy? Who knows – it’s Monday. I don’t think my brain is working properly yet.

I hope you all had a nice weekend. We did, although our power randomly went out yesterday for the entire day. This put a definite kink in the Crock pot meal I’d planned, so we’re having that meal tonight. The rest of the menu is all new recipes, and I’m excited for each and every one.

Monday: Pesto-fredo Crock pot chicken over whole wheat spaghetti. I’d just added the chicken and the sauce to the Crock pot yesterday when our power went off, so I just stuck the whole thing in the fridge, and we’re having it for dinner tonight. The sauce smelled fantastic as I was mixing it yesterday, so I can’t wait for dinner! I’ve also switched our family completely to whole wheat pasta products in an effort to be a bit healthier. I love whole wheat pasta, and no one else has complained, so it works out well.

Tuesday: French dip crescents, rosemary roasted potatoes, steamed broccoli. These crescent roll sandwiches sound pretty fantastic. I though the roasted potatoes would go perfectly with them, and I may even dip the potatoes in the au jus (let it be known: I LOVE AU JUS).

Wednesday: BBQ chicken sandwiches with onion straws, fries. I saw Jeff Mauro make onion straws for a sandwich on an older episode of his show, and it immediately made me think of the BBQ chicken sandwich I sometimes get at Red Robin. I have to try to duplicate it at home.

Thursday: Chicken enchilada pasta. Joe has softball practice on Thursday nights, so I think this pasta will reheat well for him to eat when he gets home. It should also be easy enough for me to make while on solo parent duty.

Friday: Greek burgers and pita chips. My friend Leigh suggested these burgers when I asked for help planning my menu. Since I’ve been thinking of Greek burgers for a while and am currently sort of obsessed with Greek food, I put these on the meal plan immediately. I can’t wait to have them!

Saturday: My cooking club dinner. We’re having vegan food this month, and I’m making pineapple quinoa.

Sunday: Grilled chicken parmesan over whole wheat spaghetti, grilled bruschetta. This dish was inspired by an Olive Garden commercial. Yes, that’s right. Apparently they have a new grilled chicken parmesan dish, and when I saw the commercial for it, I thought to myself, “Hey, I can make that at home.” I’ll be sure to let you know how it turns out! The bruschetta is a friend’s recipe, and it’s the best I’ve ever tried. I’ll grill the bread to give it that smoky-crusty quality.

No comments: