Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Southwestern English Muffin Breakfast Sandwiches


I’m pretty sure I’ve written about my love of breakfast sandwiches before. Interestingly, they’re not something I typically have for breakfast (except for the occasional fast food indulgence), but I love making them for dinner. And the sandwich combinations (in addition to eggs, bacon, sausage, etc.; you know, the usual suspects) are absolutely endless.

When I made this particular sandwich, I was thinking of the avocado eggs Benedict with chipotle hollandaise I’ve made before. They’re absolutely delicious, but between the poaching of the eggs and the making of the hollandaise sauce, they’re a little bit fussy. This sandwich hits the same flavor notes with much less fuss.

The sandwich starts with crispy bacon, which is balanced out perfectly by a few slices of creamy avocado. Pepper-jack cheese adds the perfect amount of spice, and a fried egg adds a silky, luxurious texture. I spread a thin layer of store-bought chipotle mayo on the sandwiches to add some smoky heat (you could easily make your own). The English muffin, with its nooks and crannies for catching the egg yolk, mayo, and avocado, is the perfect vehicle for the sandwich. These were a big hit with both Joe and me.

Southwestern English Muffin Breakfast Sandwiches

English muffins, split and toasted
Eggs, fried to desired doneness
Bacon, cooked to desired crispness
Pepper-jack cheese
1 avocado, thinly sliced
Chipotle mayonnaise

Layer an egg, a few strips of bacon, a slice of cheese, and sliced avocado on the bottom half of an English muffin. Spread the top half of the English muffin with chipotle mayonnaise and add to the top of the sandwich, pressing slightly to break the egg yolk. Serve immediately.

3 comments:

Mercedes J. said...

Omg...LOVE this! Chipotle mayo and avocado are my new favorite things. Can't wait to try it in breakfast sandwich form!

Monica H said...

Oh drippy egg yolk- how I love thee! Breakfast sandwiches are awesome. I just saw your savory waffle breakfast sandwich (how did I miss that one?)

Unknown said...

ohhh this looks so good!