Saturday, September 3, 2011

Saturdays with Rachael Ray: Nut and Honey Smoothie


My sons and I have smoothies as part of our breakfast almost every weekday morning. They’re such a perfect breakfast for us. They’re portable and healthy and I can sneak extra nutrition into them without the boys ever knowing the difference (some things I’ve tried with success, FYI: spinach, shredded zucchini, and cooked cooled carrots). I’m always on the lookout for new recipes, so when I saw this smoothie in an older issue of Rachael’s magazine, I was all over it. Andrew and Will are peanut butter fanatics, so I knew this would be right up their alley.

To me, a smoothie just isn’t a smoothie without yogurt in it. I realize I may be alone in my thinking here, but I always, always put yogurt in my smoothies. So I add a container of low-fat vanilla yogurt to these, and I love the texture and flavor it adds. I also use a combination of almonds and peanuts instead of just almonds. The boys go nuts for these smoothies – Andrew calls them “peanut butter sandwich smoothies,” which is super cute – and I’ve made them countless times now. I toast the nuts the night before and whip up the smoothies quickly before we head out the door in the morning. I’ve also added a banana to them, which is really good.

You probably have all the ingredients on hand for these already, so give them a shot! And be sure to check out Taste and Tell’s Saturdays with Rachael Ray for more great recipes!

Nut and Honey Smoothie
adapted from Every Day with Rachael Ray

1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1/4 cup honey-roasted peanuts, toasted
1 6-ounce container low-fat vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
4 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 cups ice cubes
A few splashes of milk

Using a blender, mix the almonds, peanuts, yogurt, peanut butter and honey on high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the ice cubes and blend until slushy, about 15 seconds. Add a few splashes of milk if smoothie is too thick.

1 comment:

Abby said...

My oldest loves to help me make smoothies, and there one of the few things he'll try (and drink) without arguing. He's picky, can you tell? I'm going to give this one a shot!