Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Chicken Cheesesteaks


These sandwiches ended up on our menu during one of the weeks when I just wasn’t inspired to meal plan. Nothing sounded good to me, so I went into the folder of recipes I’d bookmarked and picked this one almost randomly. But these chicken cheesesteaks were so delicious and turned out to be such a hit with my whole family that I was really sorry I’d waited so long to try them!

There’s nothing super fancy or complicated about this recipe. It’s just a basic chicken cheesesteak with onions, mushrooms, and a couple of different kinds of peppers. I think that’s what I love about these sandwiches, really, because simple, uncomplicated, delicious food is my favorite kind. They come together very quickly, and they’re a perfect weeknight meal. Joe has been requesting them a lot lately, so look for them on our meal plan again soon (probably next week!).

Chicken Cheesesteaks
adapted from Everyday Food

1 pound chicken cutlets
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
8 ounces sliced button mushrooms
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
8 slices provolone cheese
4 soft hoagie rolls, split lengthwise
Banana peppers
Mayonnaise

1. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet. Slice chicken very thinly (it helps if the chicken is still very slightly frozen) and season with salt and pepper. Add to skillet and saute until chicken is cooked through and slightly browned on the outside. Set chicken aside.

2. To the same skillet, add the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add peppers, onion, and mushrooms and saute until crisp-tender. Add garlic and season with salt and pepper; cook and stir for 30 seconds.

3. Place hoagie rolls in a baking sheet. Top each roll with chicken, vegetables, and two slices of cheese; broil until cheese is bubbling, 30 seconds to 1 minute.

4. Top each sandwich with banana peppers and spread with mayonnaise. Serve immediately.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Those look really delicious...I know we'd all love them :)

Anonymous said...

I must try these sandwiches very soon! Look at that melty cheese... oh my.

Taylor said...

I have a ton of bookmarked recipes that I know I would love, but somehow never seem to get to making them! These cheesesteaks look delicious....something I know my fam would love!

Desi said...

I agree with Taylor, there are just too many amazing recipes in the world that I can't wait to try but never get around to. But I think these chicken cheesesteaks will show up on a menu plan soon. Great recipe!