Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Pork Chops with Creamy Mushroom Gravy


I didn’t eat pork a whole lot during my early years. My dad’s family didn’t eat meat at all, but pork was particularly off-limits due to their religion, so when my mom married him she just adopted that habit. My dad didn't follow the no-meat rules, but pork was still something my mom very rarely made (excluding bacon; I come by my love of that particular pork product honestly). The first time I ever tried a pork chop was at a friend’s house when I was 10, and man -- it was so delicious.

In addition to the meats we did eat often, like chicken and beef, we also ate a variety of meat substitute products. Joe thinks they’re disgusting, but to this day I still love so many of those products. Maybe it’s because I grew up with them, but seriously: Have you ever had a Morningstar Farms sausage patty? Those things are amazing.

This recipe reminds me a lot of the way my mom used to prepare vegetarian choplets, and it was one of my favorite meals as a kid. It also reminds me a lot of the way my grandma (my mom’s mom) used to prepare pork chops -- which I happily ate from age 10 on. The gravy is particularly delicious on mashed potatoes. I’ve made this one a few times now, and my boys love it. They always love anything made with pork -- I couldn’t keep it from them even if I tried (which I won't).

Pork Chops with Creamy Mushroom Gravy
adapted from Erin’s Eats

4 boneless center cut pork chops
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
Seasoning salt and black pepper to taste
1 10.75-ounce can cream of mushroom with roasted garlic soup
1/2 can milk (use the cream of mushroom can)
1/2 cup sour cream
Cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Heat olive oil and butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Season chops on both sides with seasoning salt and black pepper. Add chops to skillet and brown on both sides (approximately 5 to 7 minutes per side).

3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together cream of mushroom soup, sour cream and milk. Set aside.

4. Once pork chops are browned, place them in a greased glass baking pan. Cover the chops with the soup mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour, until pork chops are tender.

Print

1 comment:

Aarthi said...

this looks so yummy...and the sauce is mind blowing