Thursday, March 17, 2011

Queso Verde Dip

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! I hope you’re wearing green today so you don’t get pinched! In addition to the “wear something green” requirement for St. Patrick’s Day, I wonder if it’s also necessary to post about something green if you’re a food blogger. Just because I don’t want to get a virtual pinch, I’m going to play it safe and share something green with you today. :)

Enter this queso verde dip. That’s right: green cheese dip. It sounds much less appetizing in English, so let’s stick with the Spanish name, shall we? It doesn’t really look all that green, but it does have an entire jar of green salsa in it, so I think it counts.

I made this dip for the Super Bowl (that’s how behind on posting I am!), and it got eaten up in a flash. It’s so delicious and addictive. The salsa verde and poblano pepper add the perfect amount of spice, which is balanced nicely by the cream cheese and tangy sour cream. I didn’t have cilantro on hand, but I wish I had; I think it would have added the perfect finishing touch to the dip. I’ll definitely be making this one for all kinds of festive occasions in the future!

Queso Verde Dip
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 large red onion, finely chopped

1 medium poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 16-ounce jar green salsa (salsa verde)
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, cut up
1 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 tablespoon snipped cilantro
Tortilla chips for serving

1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and poblano pepper and cook until tender. Add garlic cloves; cook and stir for 30 seconds.

2. Stir in salsa, cream cheese, sour cream, Monterey Jack cheese, and cumin. Heat to bubbling, then reduce heat.

3. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving. Serve with tortilla chips.

Print

3 comments:

Ricki said...

Yum! I am always on the search for the next great queso...I can't wait to give this a try!

Belinda said...

Oh how I wish I could eat one of these right now!

Yani said...

wow!this is so cheezy!i would love to try this one!