Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Savory French Toast BLTs

I’m a sucker for a good BLT. If I had to pick my favorite sandwich, it would probably be one composed of chewy bacon, juicy tomato, crisp lettuce, and tangy Miracle Whip. It’s such a fantastic combination of flavors and textures.

When I saw this recipe that takes all the delicious elements of a BLT and slaps them on a slice of savory French toast, I was completely sold. I couldn’t wait to try it. I made some modifications to the original recipe (of course I did; when don’t I?) and Joe and I both really enjoyed the result. The savory French toast adds a really nice additional flavor component to the sandwiches. I think I still prefer toast for my BLTs, but I’m glad I tried this alternative.

I forgot to get crusty bread at the store, so I used plain old sliced sandwich bread for my French toast. A word of advice: Don’t do this. My bread just barely held together after I’d dunked it in the egg mixture. I made it work, though!

Savory French Toast BLTs
adapted from Martha Stewart

(makes 2 sandwiches)

8 slices bacon
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives, plus more for serving
Coarse salt and ground pepper
Dash of hot sauce
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 slices crusty bread, cut 1/2 inch thick
4 lettuce leaves
4 slices tomato

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place bacon on a rimmed baking sheet; cook until golden and crisp, about 15 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through. Drain on paper towels.

2. Meanwhile, in a large shallow dish, whisk together eggs, cream, chives, and hot sauce; season with salt and pepper. Lay bread in a single layer in egg mixture and soak a minute on each side. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium. When butter sizzles, add bread and cook until golden and crisp around edges, about 3 minutes per side, flipping once.

3. To serve, layer lettuce, tomato, and bacon on one slice of French toast, then top with another slice.

Print

7 comments:

Unknown said...

interesting! these look good and weird all at the same time! haha.

Lisa@ButteryBooks said...

My husband will think he died and went to heaven when I make him this recipe!

Julie said...

Sounds like a fabulous way to make something that's really good even better!

Monica H said...

hot damn, this looks good. I'm think ing this would be equally fantastic with a sweet french toast with BLT fillings inside. Oooh, I so want this!

Avril said...

A savory HEAVEN you've got here Cassie! :-)

Lindsay said...

This looks like one of those combinations you just have to try to appreciate, but anything with bacon is certainly worth trying!

Desi said...

You've done it again, Cassie! Do you ever make a recipe I don't want to try?! I think NOT :) I love french toast, and I love blts (I love belts even more.... bacon, lettuce, tomato, and boiled or fried egg) so this combo sounds amazing! Were we born from the same mother?! :)