Friday, January 21, 2011

Dogs in a Blanket

Who doesn’t love a hot dog every now and then? If you’re my two-and-a-half-year-old, you love a hot dog much much more often than just every now and then. He asks for one for lunch or dinner once every couple of weeks or so, and since I really don’t like eating hot dogs all that often, I usually end up making him one while Joe and I eat something else. I really, really hate making two separate meals for dinner -- even if one of the meals takes no more time than nuking a hot dog for a minute or so.


That’s where these delicious, cheesy dogs in a blanket come in. As soon as Jessie posted about them, my mouth started to water -- and that’s not something that happens very often when we’re talking about a plain old hot dog. If a hot dog can be elevated in any way -- well, this is the way, with sautéed onions, tons of cheese, and a garlic-butter-brushed crescent roll “blanket.” When I make this recipe, Andrew definitely isn’t the only one who enjoys hot dogs for dinner.


Dogs in a Blanket
from Mrs. Ca Cooks


Sliced onion
Butter
Minced garlic
Hot dogs
Shredded cheddar cheese
Uncooked crescent rolls


1. Sauté onions in butter until soft and golden. Slice hot dogs down their length (without slicing completely through) and sauté them for a few minutes, just to heat through.


2. Put some onions in the slice, top with shredded cheddar, and wrap each hot dog in a crescent roll.


3. Brush the roll with butter that was melted with a little minced garlic, then bake at temperature recommended on package for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the crescent rolls are cooked through.


Print

2 comments:

Natalie said...

these bring me back to my childhood! minus the onions and garlic :)

Kitten with a Whisk said...

I loved these as a kid! Especially with a side of mustard.