Friday, June 18, 2010

Burger and Fries Friday: Spinach and Feta Veggie Burgers with Roasted Red Pepper Mayonnaise

Happy Friday everyone! I don’t know about all of you, but I am definitely ready for the weekend. It feels like this has been a long week.

The burger I’m sharing with you today definitely requires that you keep an open mind: It’s a veggie burger. It contains no meat of any kind. Probably not the best recipe to share with you right before Father’s Day, right? Most dads want meat, after all. The dad that I live with –- my husband –- was understandably skeptical about this burger. But then he tried it, and his response was, “Hey, this actually isn’t bad.” I consider that a success!

This is a great burger to make during the summer months, because it’s easy to prepare and only cooks for a few minutes, so it doesn’t heat up your kitchen too much. It also tastes really, really good. Spinach and feta is one of those classic, made-for-each-other combinations, and they really work in harmony in this burger. The stuffing mix and herbs also add a ton of great flavor. I decided to make a quick compound mayonnaise with a roasted red pepper to top ours with, which was delicious.

I was surprised by how much we all really liked these. They went over really well in our house –- so well that I think I’ll be making them again at some point. Give ‘em a try; I don’t think you’ll be disappointed!


Spinach and Feta Veggie Burgers with Roasted Red Pepper Mayonnaise
source: adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

1/4 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup herb-seasoned stuffing mix
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
4 hamburger buns

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 roasted red pepper, patted as dry as you can get it

1. In medium bowl combine oil, garlic, oregano, and salt and pepper. Stir in stuffing mix to coat thoroughly. Stir in egg, spinach, and 1/2 cup crumbled feta; mix well. Shape into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.

2. Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until browned and heated through.

3. Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, combine mayonnaise and roasted red pepper; pulse until well-mixed.

4. Serve burgers on buns topped with mayonnaise.

1 comment:

Monica H said...

I was just wondering when we'd get a burger from you!

I bet these would be great as patties too and not even in a bun.