Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sweet Grape Salad

You know how some people are just “known for” certain dishes in some families? You know they’ll always bring it to holidays and family gatherings, and you look forward to eating it time after time. In our family, my mom was known for her potato salad; one aunt is known for her stuffing; one aunt is known for her zucchini casserole; one aunt is known for her Buckeyes; one of my grandmas is known for her wonderful pickles and meat(less) balls (I’ll share those with you sometime; they’re delicious!), and my other grandma is known for her potato soup and homemade bread.

All of this is to say: I served this grape salad at Andrew’s birthday party earlier this month, and it seems that it’s become what I’m “known for.” It was by far the hit of the party. We’re attending two Memorial Day cookouts this weekend (one with my family, one with Joe’s), and I was asked to bring this salad to both of them. Not that I mind making it twice more, because that means I’ll get to eat it a couple more times. I could eat this every day, that’s how good it is.

I can’t say enough good things about this wonderful, fresh fruit salad. The dressing is rich and creamy and sweet. The grapes are cold and juicy and pop so satisfyingly in your mouth. I love the texture and flavor contrast of the pecans. I love how refreshing this is on the hot summer days that seem to have officially arrived here in Ohio. I love, love, love this salad.

Who knows? If you make it for your next family gathering, it could become what you’re “known for” too. Or just make it for your family for dessert sometime this summer. They’ll love it, I promise!

Sweet Grape Salad
source: Recipezaar

2 pounds red seedless grapes
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 8-ounce carton sour cream
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons pecans

1. Combine cream cheese, sour cream, white sugar and vanilla in a large bowl. Gently fold in grapes.

2. Sprinkle with brown sugar and pecan pieces.

3. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve very cold.

3 comments:

Monica H said...

Okay, i have to be honest. When I first saw the title of this I was totally making faces (because I'm totally immature) ha ha!

But now that I see what's in it, I'm king od intrigued. I really like sour cream with fruit and I'm a sucker for anything with cream cheese in it. I think I'm going to try this. I know my MIL would love it.

Thanks Cassie!

Monica H said...

I just made this, but used half brown sugar and white sugar for the base mixture and it is delicious Cassie! I'm taking it over to my moms and MIL's for BBQ's tonight and tomorrow. Thanka for opening up my eyes to such a yummy recipe.

Hope you and your family are enjoying your weekend.

I'm making your deviled egg pasta salad next!

Lisa K said...

I'm going to make this this weekend!