Monday, April 19, 2010

Creamy Black Bean Burritos

Here's the thing: As much as I love to cook (and I'm sure you know by now that I really, really do), I can't stand being in the kitchen in the spring and summer. Our sun-soaked back yard calls to me, and when the weather starts to get really beautiful, I am powerless to ignore its siren song. So for us, warm weather means quick meals or grilled dinners. I refuse to spend more than half an hour on dinner when all I want to do is be outside in the sunshine with my family.

So these burritos are pretty much the perfect dinner for us during this time of year. From start to finish, they only take about 10 minutes. And man -- are they ever delicious! They're spicy, creamy, and flavorful. And vegetarian! And so quick! I can't say enough about them, and we all loved them so much (Andrew ate his without a tortilla) that I'm sure I'll be making them a lot this spring and summer.

Creamy Black Bean Burritos
source: adapted from Lemons & Love

1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 can Rotel, drained
8 ounces cream cheese
1 cup cooked white rice
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Flour tortillas

1. Heat a small amount of oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic; cook and stir for 30 seconds.

2. Add beans, Rotel, and cream cheese and heat through. Stir in rice and season with cumin, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in cilantro.

3. Wrap in a tortilla with desired toppings (next time we'll use shredded cheese and avocado).

9 comments:

Kat said...

Oh this is so right up my alley! I love black beans so much..I go through like 3 cans a week. I guess its going to be even more now!!

Allison said...

Yum! We'll be trying this one very soon (although maybe not this week...we're eating 3 black bean dishes this week)! I'm ALWAYS looking for quick and easy meals like this!

Natalie said...

I am totally with you on wanting quick and easy meals in the summer. I LOVE this...already have my menu set for this week but I'm thinking this is gong on next week's :) Thanks!

Deborah said...

Hmmm, maybe it's the weather that made me not want to cook tonight and stop for fast food instead...

I'm definitely remembering this recipe. That's no time at all!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Cassie, these really do looks scrumptious. This is my first visit to your blog. I had intended only to say hello and then move on. Instead, I started reading some of your earlier posts and stayed far longer than I planned. I love your recipes. I'll be back as often as I can. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

love-up-you said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.