Thursday, December 24, 2009

Mocha Toffee Chocolate Cookies

I know, I know, these cookies really don't look like much, do they? Let me assure you that their appearance is very deceiving, as these are truly some delicious little treats!

It's very rare that I see a recipe and know that I have to make it immediately, right now, yesterday. Last weekend the new edition of Betty Crocker's Annual Recipes arrived in the mail, and when I saw these cookies it was like they were speaking to me from the page, just begging me to make them and then eat six of them while they were still piping hot and fresh from the oven. I couldn't say no. When cookies speak to you, you listen.

I didn't have any instant coffee in the house, so I used a few tablespoons of the pot we'd brewed that morning, which worked out just fine. The cookies had a nice coffee flavor that balanced perfectly with the chocolate and the toffee. These cookies will be making a yearly appearance in our kitchen, and on my annual Christmas cookie trays.

I hope all of you have a blessed holiday with your families. It's been a pleasure sharing my cooking adventures with you this year, and I can't wait to see what 2010 brings for all of us!

Mocha Toffee Chocolate Cookies
source: adapted from Betty Crocker 2010 Annual Recipes; original recipe found here

3 teaspoons brewed coffee
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist fudge recipe chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 eggs
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup English toffee bits

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. In small bowl, stir together coffee and vanilla. In large bowl, mix cake mix, coffee mixture, butter and eggs with spoon until soft dough forms. Stir in chocolate chips and toffee bits.

2. On ungreased cookie sheets, drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart.

3. Bake 7 to 10 minutes or until surface appears dry. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks.

2 comments:

Sonya said...

Oooh those look so sinful! Im baked out for this year but no reason why I couldnt make these in january..lol

Merry Christmas Cassie! I hope you and your family have a wonderful day tomorrow!

Donna-FFW said...

Oh these sound delish! Hope you had a wonderful holiday!