Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cheesy Onion and Bacon Bread

I made this bread a few weekends ago with the intention of freezing it to go with the soups I've prepared for when the baby comes. But then I smelled it baking in the oven, and it smelled heavenly, and before the timer even dinged I'd already decided that I only really needed to freeze half a loaf. And once I sliced the loaf in half and I saw all the cheesy oniony bacon goodness inside, I knew I had to have a piece right then.

And after I tasted it, I decided there was no way I could freeze it. Joe, Andrew and I ate almost the entire loaf with our dinner that night. It was that good.

I think I've mentioned here before that I have a Great and Terrible Fear of yeast breads. One of these days I'll suck it up and give yeast a shot, but for the time being, I'm relegated to the world of quick breads. I've found many delicious recipes, but they're all sweet, so it was nice to come across a savory one. I'll be making this bread a lot in the future. It is absolutely delicious.



Cheesy Onion and Bacon Bread
source: adapted from Allrecipes

2 medium onions, chopped
2 teaspoons butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup real bacon bits
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 tablespoon butter, melted

1. In a non-stick skillet, saute onion in 2 teaspoons butter until tender; add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.

2. Place biscuit mix in a bowl. Combine egg and milk; mix well. Stir into the biscuit mix just until moistened. Stir in the onion mixture, 1/2 cup cheese and bacon bits.

3. Transfer to an 8 x 4 x 2-inch loaf pan coated with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon butter.

4. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and loaf is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Looks delicious Cassie! Perfect with a hearty soup or stew!

Joanne said...

Wow this sounds ridiculously good. Cheese AND bacon AND bisquick in one bread? Can't go wrong there.

Cara said...

This bread sounds so yummy! I would have had a hard time putting it in the freezer too! Also, fear not the yeast! It will open up a whole new world of delicious breads and baked goods (which may or may not be a good thing)!

Sonya said...

Oh Cassie I so wish I could get Bisquick over here..this looks amazing!